Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username/Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 1,204
» Latest member: varcupzn
» Forum threads: 8,642
» Forum posts: 12,629

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 102 online users.
» 1 Member(s) | 96 Guest(s)
Applebot, Bing, Facebook, Google, Yandex, davy_agten

Latest Threads
Hot sale paper cone makin...
Forum: General Discussion
Last Post: JYD paper tube machine
2 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2
Paper Cone Making Machine...
Last Post: JYD paper tube machine
2 hours ago
» Views: 2
The Israel Gaza conflict:...
Forum: Politics
Last Post: superadmin
2 hours ago
» Replies: 1,103
» Views: 240,384
Men's Jeans Belts: The Pe...
Last Post: IslaBrown
Today, 12:19 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 20
Party Venues,
Forum: Travels
Last Post: Erwnad
Yesterday, 07:18 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 212
How to combine multiple P...
Forum: Computer Software
Last Post: thomasharris
Yesterday, 05:17 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 422
OST to PST Converter Soft...
Forum: Computer Software
Last Post: anjaliaggarwal
Yesterday, 02:02 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 1,551
Mastering Academic Essay ...
Forum: Educations
Last Post: ChristCam
Yesterday, 01:56 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 1,286
Maximize Your Basement's ...
Forum: Educations
Last Post: davidparker
Yesterday, 01:48 AM
» Views: 18
Develop your multi-featur...
Last Post: Joshlittle
09-27-2024, 08:35 PM
» Views: 21

Indonesia names new capital, approving shift from Jakarta
Posted by: superadmin - 01-19-2022, 03:27 PM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

[Image: jakarta-indonesia-dezeen-hero-852x479.jpg]

(CNN) — Indonesia has named its new capital Nusantara, as lawmakers approve the shift from Jakarta to Kalimantan -- a jungle-covered area on the east of Borneo island.

The new name translates to "archipelago" in the Indonesian language.

Concerns over the sustainability of the congested and rapidly sinking political center of Jakarta prompted the need for a new capital, and the nation's House of Representatives officially passed a bill on Tuesday regarding the relocation.

"The relocation of the capital city to Kalimantan is based on several considerations, regional advantages, and welfare. With the vision of the birth of a new economic center of gravity in the middle of the archipelago," said Suharso Monoarfa, the country's Minister of National Development Planning, according to Indonesia Parliament TV.

President Joko Widodo first announced the capital would be relocated in 2019, citing concerns over Jakarta's environmental and economic sustainability.

Jakarta sits on swampy ground near the sea -- making it especially prone to flooding -- and is one of the fastest-sinking cities on Earth, according to the World Economic Forum. The former capital has been dropping into the Java Sea at an alarming rate due to over-extraction of groundwater.

- More -

Print this item

Redelineate to correct Undi18 voter discrimination, says Bersih
Posted by: superadmin - 01-19-2022, 03:11 PM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

[Image: Protest-Against-EC-Undi-18-Delay-270321-FMT-03.jpg]

PETALING JAYA: Electoral watchdog Bersih has called for a redelineation exercise to correct voter discrimination which it says will affect new voters under Undi18 and automatic voter registration (AVR).

In a statement, Bersih said with 5.8 million new voters being added, the weightage of an urban vote would be just one-sixth of a rural vote.

“Most new voters will be concentrated in densely populated areas in city centres, where job and education opportunities attract young voters.

“If a redelineation exercise is not carried out and there are no alternatives, many new voters will feel cheated. They will feel as though their votes are worthless compared to other voters,” it said.

Bersih added that redelineation could take place without waiting for the eight-year gap required under Article 113 (2) of the Federal Constitution.

- More -

Print this item

Unacceptable: Gomez slams SC’s inconclusive findings on Azam Baki
Posted by: superadmin - 01-19-2022, 12:09 PM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

[Image: 20211227_edmund_terence_gomez_@IDEASMalaysia_twt.jpeg]

KUALA LUMPUR – The Securities Commission’s (SC) explanation that it could not conclusively find any breach of the securities law committed by Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission’s (MACC) chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki in relation to his shares procurement cannot be accepted, said Prof Edmund Terence Gomez.

The former member of the MACC’s Consultation and Corruption Prevention Panel said the latest development shows exactly why it was crucial that Azam be made to go on leave pending a probe.

In a statement today, Gomez accused the government of not acting decisively on the issue when it allowed Azam to remain in office while he was being investigated.

He added that the brevity of the SC’s statement – which was four paragraphs long – is shocking, considering the gravity of the allegations.

“Although these allegations were raised by the media, discussed in Parliament, and brought to the attention of the MACC’s advisory board, no independent investigation was undertaken.

“Now that a probe has finally been undertaken, we are told by the SC that it is unable to determine if Azam had breached the law.

- More -

Print this item

Umno’s Nur Jazlan says snap polls necessary for Johor, will benefit state politically
Posted by: superadmin - 01-19-2022, 11:49 AM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

Umno’s Nur Jazlan says snap polls necessary for Johor, will benefit state politically and economically

[Image: hasni_mohammad_johor_assembly_0601.jpg]

JOHOR BARU, Jan 19 — Holding a snap election in Johor would be a necessary move to free the southern state from political uncertainty and bring about stability that will translate to a much-needed economic boost, said a Johor Umno leader.

Datuk Nur Jazlan Mohamed said Johor urgently needs a fresh electoral mandate, as this will allow the state to chart its own progress.

“Coming out of the Covid-19 pandemic, there is an immediate need for Johor, being the second-largest economy among the states in peninsular Malaysia, to fully manage its economic sectors with a focus on boosting the domestic economy as well as incomes of Johoreans.

- More -

Print this item

Adele to make £500,000 per night from upcoming Las Vegas residency
Posted by: superadmin - 01-19-2022, 10:40 AM - Forum: Celebreties News - No Replies

[Image: 000_LN646.jpg]

BRITISH music superstar Adele will reportedly make £500,000 (RM2.85 million) a night during her Las Vegas residency, which will begin this weekend. That would make her one of the highest-paid female stars in the history of the US gambling hotspot.

Prices for tickets to Weekends With Adele at Caesars Palace's Colosseum range from £700 to £9,000. In addition to ticket sales, Adele will be getting money from the merchandise sales.

On top of all that, the powerhouse singer will allegedly have access to Caesars £30,000-a-night private suite, with luxury benefits like a butler, executive assistant, chauffeur and security.

The current record for revenues made during a Las Vegas residence belongs to Celine Dion, who made more than £461 million. Other artists in the same range of financial compensation include Elton John and Britney Spears.

- More -

Print this item

What’s the Cabinet’s stand on SC ‘clearing’ Azam, asks Kit Siang
Posted by: superadmin - 01-19-2022, 10:23 AM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

[Image: Azam-Baki-130122.jpg]

PETALING JAYA: The Cabinet should make its stance clear on the Securities Commission of Malaysia’s (SC) inability to determine whether anti-graft buster Azam Baki broke the law over his ownership of shares, said DAP stalwart Lim Kit Siang.

In a statement today, the Iskandar Puteri MP said the Cabinet should also ask Azam, who heads the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), to go on leave until the question of whether he had breached the law had been answered “one way or another” by other investigative agencies.

- More -

Print this item

Ride-hailing firms leave elderly cabbies in the dust
Posted by: superadmin - 01-19-2022, 10:19 AM - Forum: Business. Economy and Investment - No Replies

[Image: drivers1-taxi-email.jpg]

PETALING JAYA: An elderly cab driver sits at the taxi stand in the heat outside Bangsar Village I in his crisp white shirt, looking around for passengers.

He waves at his fellow taxi drivers. Some join him on the bench but others remain in their cabs with the engines switched off and windows wound down to let the air circulate.

Bhavin and his mates, aged 70 and above, are being swept away by the tides of change that have come with the introduction of e-hailing services in the city.

This is because some ride-hailing companies allow only those aged 21 to 69 to be their drivers and require those aged 50 to 69 to pass a medical check-up.

For Bhavin, aged 72, signing up to be an e-hailing driver is a non-starter.

- More -

Print this item

Inflation is killing your future
Posted by: superadmin - 01-19-2022, 10:15 AM - Forum: Business. Economy and Investment - No Replies

[Image: Columnist-K-Kathirgugan-Updated-250521.jpg]

I’ve noticed something peculiar happening over the years. When I was a teenager, I would accompany my parents to the Giant hypermarket in our neighbourhood to pick up groceries. The month’s haul – which would fill up the shopping cart – would cost my dad around RM500 or so. And every so often, he would lament about how when he was a teenager growing up in the 60s, things were so much cheaper.

But of course, as most teenagers do, I brushed off my dad’s comments and just accepted this increase in prices over the years as a natural phenomenon. In my mind, price hikes were just something that happened, like gravity or growing old – no explanations were needed.

But as I got older, and especially after I started working, I began taking this seemingly natural phenomenon much more seriously. After all, it was thinning my own wallet and I didn’t like it. I wondered why I had to pay increasingly higher prices for goods that pretty much remained the same over the years? I mean, how much can you improve sugar or spinach or milk? And yet, I was asked to cough up more and more money for it over the years.

But again, this wasn’t an urgent enough matter for me to merit a deep dive – until now, that is. The RM500 that would fill up my parents’ shopping cart 15 years ago barely fills up a quarter of mine today. Most alarmingly, this increase in prices seems to be accelerating, all while wages remain largely stagnant.

- More -

Print this item

Kit Siang’s bouquet for Musa, brickbat for Dr M
Posted by: superadmin - 01-19-2022, 09:48 AM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

[Image: Musa-Hitam-and-Lim-Kit-Siang-and-Mahathir-Mohamad.jpg]

From Terence Netto

DAP adviser Lim Kit Siang’s opinion that Musa Hitam was the best prime minister Malaysia never had ought to be viewed against the backdrop of a video that made the rounds last year.

It showed Musa holding forth on an encounter he had with Kit Siang some time during the 22 months that Pakatan Harapan ruled the federal government.

Musa mused on how at that encounter Kit Siang had waxed euphoric about halcyon times for the DAP under the second premiership of Mahathir Mohamad.

Musa had been deputy prime minister (July 1981 to February 1986) during the first five years of Mahathir’s first tenure as prime minister (1981-2003). He had emerged from that experience leery of the methods and morals of Mahathir.

So when Kit Siang was lyrical about his party’s situation, the former deputy prime minister, who had a bitter falling out with Mahathir in early 1986 that led to his resignation, was unimpressed.

Sure, Kit Siang was entitled to bragging rights. DAP had six ministers in Mahathir’s Cabinet, with son Guan Eng holding the high-profile finance portfolio.

- More -

Print this item

Emergency declared to save Muhyiddin, not Malaysia
Posted by: superadmin - 01-19-2022, 09:40 AM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

[Image: af291bd4876389530a465a70f7bfd260.jpg=s800]

Federal Bakery: Is the Covid-19 pandemic worse than endemic corruption? Worse than leaders stealing the public wealth? Worse than the general ineptitude of a bunch of political shysters who took on the mantle of government by stealth?

If the pandemic is worse than war as former prime minister Muhyiddin Yassin seems to see it, it is because he and the bunch who call themselves ‘the government’ lack the aptitude to deal with the disease and need a metaphor to hide their failings.

Pompous platitudes of the type that is being meted out by this man and his friends won’t cure even an ant bite.

The pandemic reigns and will continue to reign for as long as democracy is banished, as long as we are ruled by street gangs who conduct the affairs of state through press conferences and the fiat of their own utterances and by invoking authority outside the democratic processes which this country was once ruled by.

The greater danger we face today is that all of what is happening is being justified by our experts as autochthonous alternatives to the constitutional set-up we are used to. Shame.

OCT: Muhyiddin’s decision to declare an emergency didn't achieve the results it was intended for.

Many countries fought the virus without declaring emergency. In the end, these countries ended up in much better shape.

Muhyiddin used the wrong tool to fight the virus and lost. In actual fact, the emergency helped him to remain as PM and to spend without being questioned.

Just look at the confusing SOPs and MCOs introduced by his then senior minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob and how his ministers breached the rules. The rakyat became collateral damage while his ministers were not reprimanded.

His whole team of more than 70 ministers and deputy ministers, special envoys, and advisers couldn't manage the crisis. Most of the time was spent on defending his PM post. Eventually, he was nevertheless ousted by Umno.

This is the result when the PM the rakyat voted for was not the PM they got but a backdoor PM. Instead of the best of the best, we got the worst of the worst.

- More -

Print this item