Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username/Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 718
» Latest member: natashabock
» Forum threads: 8,220
» Forum posts: 11,351

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 372 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 368 Guest(s)
Applebot, Bing, Facebook, Google

Latest Threads
The Israel Gaza conflict:...
Forum: Politics
Last Post: superadmin
2 hours ago
» Replies: 795
» Views: 96,023
What is the most efficien...
Forum: Computer Software
Last Post: softwarekit
6 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
Seeking Community Wisdom ...
Forum: Educations
Last Post: normareid90
Yesterday, 07:57 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 767
why it is important for s...
Yesterday, 07:56 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 926
Unveiling the Best Essay ...
Yesterday, 07:54 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 200
What is the difference be...
Yesterday, 07:53 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 1,719
Best brochures Printing S...
Last Post: aubinhoude39
Yesterday, 07:23 PM
» Views: 5
Lunar cycle
Forum: General Discussion
Last Post: mediapract
Yesterday, 03:40 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 19
FreshForex News
Last Post: FreshForex
Yesterday, 11:47 AM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 5,051
Elevate Your Style with A...
Last Post: Maxob_otto
05-16-2024, 08:16 PM
» Views: 12

Omicron is ‘not the same disease’ as earlier Covid waves, says UK scientist
Posted by: superadmin - 12-29-2021, 08:06 PM - Forum: Covid-19 Pandemic - No Replies

[Image: 5568.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=forma...70416b5cd0]

Sir John Bell says disease ‘appears less severe’ as other scientists criticise lack of new restrictions in England.

Omicron is “not the same disease we were seeing a year ago” and high Covid death rates in the UK are “now history”, a leading immunologist has said.

Sir John Bell, regius professor of medicine at Oxford University and the government’s life sciences adviser, said that although hospital admissions had increased in recent weeks as Omicron spreads through the population, the disease “appears to be less severe and many people spend a relatively short time in hospital”. Fewer patients were needing high-flow oxygen and the average length of stay was down to three days, he said.

A number of scientists have criticised the government’s decision not to introduce further Covid restrictions in England before New Year’s Eve, with some describing it as “the greatest divergence between scientific advice and legislation” since the start of the pandemic.

They have expressed concern that while the Omicron variant appears to be milder, it is highly transmissible, meaning hospital numbers and deaths could rise rapidly without intervention.

- More -

Print this item

Gordon Brown: west is sleepwalking into Afghanistan disaster
Posted by: superadmin - 12-29-2021, 07:57 PM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

[Image: 4896.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=forma...df2193e06b]

The west is “sleepwalking into the biggest humanitarian crisis of our times” in Afghanistan, Gordon Brown has warned, as he called for a support package to save the country from economic and social collapse after the Taliban’s takeover.

Four months after the western-backed government was overthrown following a mass military withdrawal, the former UK prime minister said the case for action was not based only on morals but also “in our self-interest”.

He said more than half the Afghan population was facing extreme hunger, including 1 million children at risk of starving to death, citing International Monetary Fund predictions that the country’s economy would contract by 20-30% in the next year.

- More -

Print this item

Penang plants almost 500,000 tree saplings to weather climate change
Posted by: superadmin - 12-29-2021, 07:15 PM - Forum: Environment Protection News - No Replies

[Image: 20210410-jagdeep_singh_deo-wikipedia_pic.jpg]

GEORGE TOWN – Almost half a million new tree saplings have been planted by the two city councils in Penang, as the state moves to increase its number of trees to weather climate change.

With a soaring heatwave lingering over the state – which would likely last into the New Year – Penang local government committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo urged residents here to go green to fight climate change.

The trees can absorb excess rainwater, while offering shade from the heatwave, Jagdeep said after handing over 100 sets of hydroponic plants for York Road residents.

By 2030, Penang hopes to have 100 million trees grown – and to achieve it, the initial target was to allow the growth of up to 10 million tree saplings annually.

“But to achieve this, we need help from the federal government.”

Trees absorb carbon dioxide, and generate oxygen to help the planet as well.

From 2018 till last month, the Penang Island City Council grew 97,981 trees, while its counterpart – the Seberang Prai City Council – planted 61,779 trees.

Overall, Penang now has 470,050 trees, Jagdeep noted.

- More -

Print this item

We don’t clean up non-Muslims’ houses of worship
Posted by: superadmin - 12-29-2021, 07:10 PM - Forum: Stop Racism and Religious Bigotry - No Replies

We don’t clean up non-Muslims’ houses of worship: celebrity preacher’s lecture garners flak from netizens

[Image: 20211229_ustaz_azhar_idrus_screengrab_pic.png]

KUALA LUMPUR – Netizens have lambasted celebrity preacher Azhar Idrus for his lecture on why Muslims should refrain from cleaning up non-Muslims’ houses of worship that were affected by the floods.

In a video posted on his official TikTok account, Azhar referenced the story of Prophet Ibrahim, who went into a temple in his town to demolish their idols.

“Look at Prophet Ibrahim’s story. Did he clean up (the temple) or did he ‘katok’ (northern Malay for ‘hit’)?

“We can’t ‘hit’, because we live in a multi-racial country. (If we said that) it’d be defamatory, do you understand?

“So, don’t interfere. It’s your own matter and your own religion. To idol worshippers, we don’t want (to interfere).”

In the video, which is over a minute long, Azhar said that those professing the Muslim faith can only clean up mosques and surau, but not houses of worship of other religions.
“Can Muslims clean up Hindu temples that have been affected by the floods? There is nothing to be cleaned.

- More -

Print this item

Disappointment over PH’s time in Putrajaya led to defeat in Sarawak
Posted by: superadmin - 12-29-2021, 06:57 PM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

[Image: 05-CHONG-CHIENG-JEN-PADUNGAN-DAP-PC-INTERVIEW.jpg]

GEORGE TOWN: Pakatan Harapan fared badly in the recent Sarawak polls as voters were disappointed by the performance of the coalition after it took over Putrajaya following the last general election (GE14) in May 2018.

Sarawak DAP said this in a post-mortem report on the recently concluded state elections which saw PH nearly wiped out by Gabungan Parti Sarawak (GPS).

State DAP chief Chong Chieng Jen said a study on the polls’ results also revealed that the ethnic Chinese voter turnout was very low at around 40%-45%.

- More -

Print this item

75% of young people worldwide find the future 'scary'
Posted by: superadmin - 12-29-2021, 03:47 PM - Forum: Environment Protection News - No Replies

[Image: shutterstock_20.34ca1130548.original.jpg]

A global study conducted in ten countries around the world reveals that 45% of young people suffer from eco-anxiety. Governments' inaction on climate issues is frequently cited as promoting this distress. 

The study compiles several surveys of 10,000 children and youth (16-25 years old) in 10 countries around the world (Australia, Brazil, Finland, France, India, Nigeria, Philippines, Portugal, United Kingdom and United States). When asked how they see the future, 75% of all young people surveyed described it as "frightening."

More than half of the people surveyed said they felt "afraid," "sad," "anxious," "angry," "powerless" or "helpless"... A percentage that rises to 81% in southern countries such as Portugal and even to 92% in the Philippines.

Nearly half of young people surveyed worldwide (45%) say that climate-related anxiety and distress affect their daily lives. Of these young people, 64% believe that their governments are "not doing enough" to avoid a climate catastrophe.

"I grew up being afraid of drowning in my own bedroom"

- More -

Print this item

Muda officially a political party, gets RoS nod
Posted by: superadmin - 12-29-2021, 03:41 PM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

[Image: 06112021_-_KUL_-_Syed_Saddiq_muda_-_Sairien-03.jpg]

KUALA LUMPUR – The long wait is finally over for Muda as it was formally registered as a party by the Registrar of Societies (RoS) last Thursday.

Party president Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman said Muda received an email from RoS on December 23 informing the party of the matter, before an official letter of registration was issued on Monday.

“This is great news,” the Muar MP said in a virtual press conference today.

He said Muda did not announce its official registration earlier as its members were focused on flood relief efforts across the country.

“Muda’s leaders were hard at work serving the nation. I was personally in Pahang during this period, and the internet connection was very weak, while the phone line was spotty.

“Other members were also stationed in other affected areas. At the same time, our priority is to serve the people. We don't want the flood crisis to be overshadowed by political news.”

Syed Saddiq thanked the judiciary for upholding the spirit of democracy and the federal constitution, and ensuring that Muda is given the right to be registered.

Similarly, he expressed gratitude to the federal government for not appealing the court’s decision on December 14, ordering the Home Ministry to register the party within two weeks. The ministry was ordered to pay RM10,000 in costs as well.

“We are not here to exert revenge, that is why we thank the government. Our focus is not to squabble for power, but to give our best service to ensure Malaysia becomes a developed nation.”

- More -

Print this item

I left Malaysia, and I don’t regret it – here’s why
Posted by: superadmin - 12-29-2021, 02:55 PM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

[Image: klia-passanger-fmt-180419-8.jpg]

From Ex-Malaysian

My mother is Malay and father is Indian. I have more Malay blood in me than some of the racists in Malaysia, some of whom have no Malay blood at all, being converts.

I was educated in a Malay school and went abroad to study. I never applied for any scholarship as I didn’t want to. My parents were humble government servants who worked hard and saved. They supported me. On the weekends and during summer holidays, I worked in restaurants, laundromats, retailers (including liquor shops), pubs to make ends meet. I made it.

On coming back to Malaysia, I obtained a government job. After a number of years, I resigned. I joined the private sector and did well. I speak and write Bahasa Malaysia and English well. I did my Form Six in Malay in my country.

While still in government, I attended Biro Tata Negara (National Civics Bureau) courses. That was when I personally witnessed the brainwashing by the government that was going on.

Instead of unifying the people, the policy was to create Ketuanan Melayu. Everyone could see it including the Malays. But no one did anything. There were private conversations, that’s it. That’s when Malaysia started to fall. That was more than two decades ago.

- More -

Print this item

Use of Mandarin, Tamil in vernacular schools constitutional, rules High Court
Posted by: superadmin - 12-29-2021, 02:45 PM - Forum: Stop Racism and Religious Bigotry - No Replies

[Image: Chinese-Student-Murid-Cina-File-pic-280319.jpg]

KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court has ruled that the use of Tamil and Mandarin in vernacular schools is constitutional.

Judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali also held that the existence of about 1,800 such schools, catering to about 500,000 students, is legal and constitutional.

“These schools are not public authorities as defined in the Federal Constitution to use Malay as the medium of instruction,” he said, in dismissing a suit against the existence of vernacular schools.

Nazlan said one must also look at pre- and post-Merdeka laws and the Constitution which provide safeguards for the use of these languages and for the schools to exist.

The suit was initiated by the Federation of Peninsular Malay Students (GPMS), the Islamic Education Development Council (Mappim) and the Confederation of Malaysian Writers Association (Gapena) in December 2019.

They had sought a declaration that Sections 2, 17 and 28 of the Education Act 1996, and the extent to which they provided for the establishment of vernacular schools using Mandarin and Tamil as the main languages, were inconsistent with Article 152(1) of the Constitution and are considered null and void.

- More -

Print this item

Politicians barred from teaching Islam in Selangor
Posted by: superadmin - 12-28-2021, 07:55 PM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

[Image: Sultan-Sharafuddin-Idris-Shah-bernama-030319-2.jpg]

PETALING JAYA: Politicians will no longer be allowed to teach Islam in Selangor effective Jan 1.

Selangor Islamic Religious Council (Mais) chairman Abdul Aziz Mohd Yusof said this was decreed by Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah to prevent Islam from being politicised and used as a political tool, especially in mosques and suraus.

“To protect the sanctity of Islam in Selangor, the Sultan does not grant accreditation to any politician to teach Islam,” he said.

He said this was due to concerns that it could be misused by politicians and lead to slander, friction or division among Muslims.

However, the state executive councillor in charge of the Islamic affairs portfolio in Selangor is given exemption but he or she should not touch on political matters.

- More -

Print this item