Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 dead, 8 injured in shooting at Michigan high school, undersheriff says
[Image: 211130160340-01-oxford-school-shooting-1...ge-169.jpg]

(CNN)A 15-year-old boy is in custody after three students died and eight were injured in a shooting Tuesday afternoon at a high school in Oxford, Michigan, authorities said.

The Oxford High School students killed were a 16-year-old boy, a 14-year-old girl and a 17-year-old girl, Oakland County Undersheriff Michael G. McCabe said at a news conference.

Eight others were shot, one of whom is believed to be a teacher, McCabe said. Of the eight injured, two are currently in surgery and the other six are in stable condition with various gunshot wounds, McCabe said.

"I think this is every parent's worst nightmare," said Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, who added that shootings at schools are "a uniquely American problem that we need to address."

"My heart goes out to the families. This is an unimaginable tragedy. I hope we can all rise to the occasion and wrap our arms around the families, the affected children and school personnel and this community," Whitmer said.

The suspect, a sophomore at the school, was taken into custody without incident five minutes after authorities responded to the shooting, McCabe said. His parents have hired an attorney and have not permitted him to talk to police, McCabe said.

- More -
Michigan school shooting: Parents of gunman charged with manslaughter
Prosecutors have charged the parents of a suspect in a deadly Michigan school shooting with involuntary manslaughter.
Authorities have issued a fugitive warrant for James and Jennifer Crumbley, who are accused of ignoring warning signs before the gun rampage.

Ethan Crumbley, 15, is accused of using his father's gun to shoot classmates in Oxford, about 35 miles (60 km) north of Detroit, this week.

He has pleaded not guilty on multiple charges including terrorism.

James and Jennifer Crumbley are facing four counts each.

Authorities in Oakland County have told US media they are currently searching for the pair after the Crumbleys' lawyers were unable to reach them by phone.

- More -