Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glamping Business
Hi everyone, my partner and I have been brainstorming ideas for a business as we have some money to invest and want to use it to go self employed.
Today we discussed setting up a glamping business, as we have potentially got some land we could use in the countryside.
We’re thinking wooden huts with beds, electricity supply for kettle, heater. Water supply and maybe hot tubs.

The question is, how much would we be looking at spending on getting the water and electricity supply set up?
And would we need to build a toilet block for guests too, or would it be cheaper to install toilets into the huts?

It’s a very vague idea at the moment and we have a lot of research to do, but thought we’d ask here to see if anyone had any experience with this kind of business.

Thank you
You're going to need to get some quotes. Be specific about what you want coz tradesmen can smell a timewaster a mile off.
Or you could engage the services of a consultant. This will cost, but be much more specific and give you options.
Without planning permission you are going nowhere.

Electricity supplies to remote fields, especially large enough to support multiple hot tubs and water heaters/showers will be very expensive. I would personally use a gas boiler. Very cheap to setup (portable gas boiler and trolley, as used in stable etcs for horse showers)

You will need either a mains sewerage connection or a treatment plant. Again, not cheap. Whether you have a toilet block or individual toilets depends upon how upmarket you are aiming. How could multiple toilets and connections possibly be cheaper than one toilet block? Use some common sense! You can even buy a pre fabricated toilet block, which will always command a value if you sell up.
Is glamping can be done in Malaysia? Havent seen this type of business yet.
One of the organisations I am involved in is planning a campsite. I've had a look at one of the estimates we got from our QS and connecting water and electricity will be over RM40k. We are just planning to have toilets in the amenity building, none in the individual units.

(06-03-2021, 05:32 PM)sheep23 Wrote: Is glamping can be done in Malaysia? Havent seen this type of business yet.

Several site u can look up is Canopy Tribes, Johor and Sailor’s Rest Resort, Janda Baik... its just like camping but more glamour and more facilities than traditional camping. I think it is a good business if say after covid because ppl will want to go for holidays.
My mate has got a glamping business. Apart from all the above the most important things are WiFi and catering. The sort of people who are happy to pay the exorbitant fees will want a decent internet service so they can update their instagram pages every 5 minutes. They will also want feeding and a constant supply of chilled drinks. Which means you need a kitchen and chef.
I just dont think its feasible right now with the covid situations.
Thank you everyone for the ideas and opinions. I do realize that this business will need big amount of investment. Luckily my business partner will involved quite some people to put in the money.
And i agree that while it is not doable at the moment, i think that i can generate some possible leads before we go with the plans?
(06-03-2021, 05:43 PM)onikka Wrote: Thank you everyone for the ideas and opinions. I do realize that this business will need big amount of investment. Luckily my business partner will involved quite some people to put in the money.
And i agree that while it is not doable at the moment, i think that i can generate some possible leads before we go with the plans?
Alot of business do these nowadays. Open any social page with coming soon posts. It will attract customers and business partners.
That aside you have to make sure that you are prepared for in any possible outcomes.
Probably there will be no more mco because people are getting vaccinated. Probably it is extended.
I learned that there many ways business can adapt. U may want to check out this masterclass to begin with. https://roar-point.com/marketing-branding-masterclass/
(06-03-2021, 05:43 PM)onikka Wrote: Thank you everyone for the ideas and opinions. I do realize that this business will need big amount of investment. Luckily my business partner will involved quite some people to put in the money.

What you really need to be aware of is that we are destined for a boom over the next 12 or 24 months, after which there is likely to excess supply- which probably won't matter if you have superb location or a really innovative theme, but if you are 'just another' you will be opening at exactly the wrong time

As others have suggested, it is almost certainly worth bring a consultant on board - there really is a lot to consider and you may be shocked at the pre-start costs.
I doubt glamping can make alot of profit to be honest. There's a reason for that. It's had its brief 15 minutes of glory. It's a life style living, hardly, if at all, sustainable on it's own. Get a holiday rental cottage, get an agency to deal with it then flog it in 10 years. It's a lot easier and slightly more cost effective.