Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username/Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 1,207
» Latest member: discreetpeople
» Forum threads: 8,644
» Forum posts: 12,634

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 92 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 88 Guest(s)
Applebot, Bing, Facebook, Google

Latest Threads
My Urgent Warning To All ...
Forum: Politics
Last Post: superadmin
50 minutes ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
BRICS Just Acquired 2 MAJ...
1 hour ago
» Views: 1
The Israel Gaza conflict:...
1 hour ago
» Replies: 1,106
» Views: 240,898
Buy fake counterfeit mone...
Forum: International News
Last Post: discreetpeople
2 hours ago
» Views: 2
Shift perspective on brai...
Forum: Local News
Last Post: siegra
8 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 1,477
Michael A Durney: Bestsel...
Forum: General Discussion
Last Post: admire
Yesterday, 08:38 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 780
Hot sale paper cone makin...
Last Post: JYD paper tube machine
Yesterday, 10:57 AM
» Views: 15
Paper Cone Making Machine...
Last Post: JYD paper tube machine
Yesterday, 10:44 AM
» Views: 11
Men's Jeans Belts: The Pe...
Last Post: IslaBrown
Yesterday, 12:19 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 24
Party Venues,
Forum: Travels
Last Post: Erwnad
09-28-2024, 07:18 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 219

75% of young people worldwide find the future 'scary'
Posted by: superadmin - 12-29-2021, 03:47 PM - Forum: Environment Protection News - No Replies

[Image: shutterstock_20.34ca1130548.original.jpg]

A global study conducted in ten countries around the world reveals that 45% of young people suffer from eco-anxiety. Governments' inaction on climate issues is frequently cited as promoting this distress. 

The study compiles several surveys of 10,000 children and youth (16-25 years old) in 10 countries around the world (Australia, Brazil, Finland, France, India, Nigeria, Philippines, Portugal, United Kingdom and United States). When asked how they see the future, 75% of all young people surveyed described it as "frightening."

More than half of the people surveyed said they felt "afraid," "sad," "anxious," "angry," "powerless" or "helpless"... A percentage that rises to 81% in southern countries such as Portugal and even to 92% in the Philippines.

Nearly half of young people surveyed worldwide (45%) say that climate-related anxiety and distress affect their daily lives. Of these young people, 64% believe that their governments are "not doing enough" to avoid a climate catastrophe.

"I grew up being afraid of drowning in my own bedroom"

- More -

Print this item

Muda officially a political party, gets RoS nod
Posted by: superadmin - 12-29-2021, 03:41 PM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

[Image: 06112021_-_KUL_-_Syed_Saddiq_muda_-_Sairien-03.jpg]

KUALA LUMPUR – The long wait is finally over for Muda as it was formally registered as a party by the Registrar of Societies (RoS) last Thursday.

Party president Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman said Muda received an email from RoS on December 23 informing the party of the matter, before an official letter of registration was issued on Monday.

“This is great news,” the Muar MP said in a virtual press conference today.

He said Muda did not announce its official registration earlier as its members were focused on flood relief efforts across the country.

“Muda’s leaders were hard at work serving the nation. I was personally in Pahang during this period, and the internet connection was very weak, while the phone line was spotty.

“Other members were also stationed in other affected areas. At the same time, our priority is to serve the people. We don't want the flood crisis to be overshadowed by political news.”

Syed Saddiq thanked the judiciary for upholding the spirit of democracy and the federal constitution, and ensuring that Muda is given the right to be registered.

Similarly, he expressed gratitude to the federal government for not appealing the court’s decision on December 14, ordering the Home Ministry to register the party within two weeks. The ministry was ordered to pay RM10,000 in costs as well.

“We are not here to exert revenge, that is why we thank the government. Our focus is not to squabble for power, but to give our best service to ensure Malaysia becomes a developed nation.”

- More -

Print this item

I left Malaysia, and I don’t regret it – here’s why
Posted by: superadmin - 12-29-2021, 02:55 PM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

[Image: klia-passanger-fmt-180419-8.jpg]

From Ex-Malaysian

My mother is Malay and father is Indian. I have more Malay blood in me than some of the racists in Malaysia, some of whom have no Malay blood at all, being converts.

I was educated in a Malay school and went abroad to study. I never applied for any scholarship as I didn’t want to. My parents were humble government servants who worked hard and saved. They supported me. On the weekends and during summer holidays, I worked in restaurants, laundromats, retailers (including liquor shops), pubs to make ends meet. I made it.

On coming back to Malaysia, I obtained a government job. After a number of years, I resigned. I joined the private sector and did well. I speak and write Bahasa Malaysia and English well. I did my Form Six in Malay in my country.

While still in government, I attended Biro Tata Negara (National Civics Bureau) courses. That was when I personally witnessed the brainwashing by the government that was going on.

Instead of unifying the people, the policy was to create Ketuanan Melayu. Everyone could see it including the Malays. But no one did anything. There were private conversations, that’s it. That’s when Malaysia started to fall. That was more than two decades ago.

- More -

Print this item

Use of Mandarin, Tamil in vernacular schools constitutional, rules High Court
Posted by: superadmin - 12-29-2021, 02:45 PM - Forum: Stop Racism and Religious Bigotry - No Replies

[Image: Chinese-Student-Murid-Cina-File-pic-280319.jpg]

KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court has ruled that the use of Tamil and Mandarin in vernacular schools is constitutional.

Judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali also held that the existence of about 1,800 such schools, catering to about 500,000 students, is legal and constitutional.

“These schools are not public authorities as defined in the Federal Constitution to use Malay as the medium of instruction,” he said, in dismissing a suit against the existence of vernacular schools.

Nazlan said one must also look at pre- and post-Merdeka laws and the Constitution which provide safeguards for the use of these languages and for the schools to exist.

The suit was initiated by the Federation of Peninsular Malay Students (GPMS), the Islamic Education Development Council (Mappim) and the Confederation of Malaysian Writers Association (Gapena) in December 2019.

They had sought a declaration that Sections 2, 17 and 28 of the Education Act 1996, and the extent to which they provided for the establishment of vernacular schools using Mandarin and Tamil as the main languages, were inconsistent with Article 152(1) of the Constitution and are considered null and void.

- More -

Print this item

Politicians barred from teaching Islam in Selangor
Posted by: superadmin - 12-28-2021, 07:55 PM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

[Image: Sultan-Sharafuddin-Idris-Shah-bernama-030319-2.jpg]

PETALING JAYA: Politicians will no longer be allowed to teach Islam in Selangor effective Jan 1.

Selangor Islamic Religious Council (Mais) chairman Abdul Aziz Mohd Yusof said this was decreed by Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah to prevent Islam from being politicised and used as a political tool, especially in mosques and suraus.

“To protect the sanctity of Islam in Selangor, the Sultan does not grant accreditation to any politician to teach Islam,” he said.

He said this was due to concerns that it could be misused by politicians and lead to slander, friction or division among Muslims.

However, the state executive councillor in charge of the Islamic affairs portfolio in Selangor is given exemption but he or she should not touch on political matters.

- More -

Print this item

China to remove limits on foreign investment in passenger car manufacturing
Posted by: superadmin - 12-28-2021, 12:17 PM - Forum: Business, Economy and Investment - No Replies

• Chinese authorities will allow full foreign ownership of passenger car manufacturing in the country beginning Jan. 1, 2022.
  • That’s according to a release Monday from the Ministry of Commerce and the National Development and Reform Commission, the top economic planning agency. 
[Image: 106940483-1631503186828-gettyimages-1235...=740&h=416]

BEIJING — Chinese authorities will allow full foreign ownership of passenger car manufacturing in the country beginning Jan. 1, 2022.

That’s according to a release Monday from the Ministry of Commerce and the National Development and Reform Commission, the country’s top economic planning agency. The document was one of the government’s regular releases on industries barred from foreign investment.

The 2021 version published Monday did not include passenger car manufacturing. The 2020 edition of the list had promised the change would come in 2022.

- More -

Print this item

Enough is enough, deport Zakir Naik and uphold integrity of Keluarga Malaysia
Posted by: superadmin - 12-28-2021, 11:44 AM - Forum: Stop Racism and Religious Bigotry - No Replies

Enough is enough, deport Zakir Naik and uphold integrity of Keluarga Malaysia: activist

[Image: 20211228-zakir_naik-bernama.jpeg]

KUALA LUMPUR – It is high time for Putrajaya to deport controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik to maintain unity and harmony in the country, as well as the Keluarga Malaysia concept, said activist S. Shashi Kumar.

Shashi, who is Global Human Rights Federation president, made a strong plea after Zakir posted on Facebook posts to warn those professing the Muslim faith against taking part in Christmas celebrations.

Checks by The Vibes revealed that he has three posts warning Muslims against celebrating, taking part in celebrations, wishing, and accepting gifts during non-Muslim festivals.

In one of the photos uploaded, Zakir cited a verse from a book titled Majmoo Al Fataawa where a Sunni Islamic scholar named Shaikh Ul Islam ibn Taymiyyah was said to have banned Muslims from attending non-Muslim festivities.

- More -

Print this item

Pairing DAP with Umno in Penang is wishful thinking: Ramasamy
Posted by: superadmin - 12-28-2021, 10:42 AM - Forum: Politics - No Replies

[Image: 25012021-P._Ramasamy-Bernama.jpg]

GEORGE TOWN – Although Gerakan has floated the possibility of DAP working with its main nemesis Umno to cement its helm of the Penang government, the Pakatan Harapan (PH) party has pooh-poohed such talk.

Former state Gerakan election chairman Wong Mun Hoe said a partnership could happen, spurred on by current political sentiments in Penang.

He said in an interview that support for DAP and its PH partners PKR and Amanah has dwindled, going by the election results in Melaka and Sarawak.

“Instead, there has been a swing towards Umno in Malay-dominant seats and even some mixed seats since the last general election in 2018.

“So, the only two parties certain of support are DAP with its non-Malay voter bank and Umno with the Malays. When the election is over, these two could be the last two standing.”

As for Gerakan, Wong said that he hopes the party can take advantage of current uncertainties, but it still needs to sort out its internal leadership and issues of consolidation if it is to regain strength, particularly in Penang where it once held sway.

- More -

Print this item

‘Companies can’t be Muslim, so how can cheques be halal?’
Posted by: superadmin - 12-28-2021, 10:39 AM - Forum: Stop Racism and Religious Bigotry - No Replies

[Image: 20211228-bank_muamalat-bernama.jpeg]

KUALA LUMPUR – In light of a recent incident that saw Bank Muamalat drawing flak over allegations of rejecting cheques for being non-halal, Malaysian Digital Economy Consumer Association secretary Shaani Abdullah says it is important for there to be a distinction between religion and organisation.

Speaking to the Vibes, Shaani explained that the law has already settled that companies cannot be Muslim.

“So, there’s no question for companies with regard to something being halal or non-halal,” Shaani said when contacted.

Even services, he says, cannot be categorised as halal or otherwise. Instead, they are either shariah-compliant or not.

Earlier yesterday, Bank Muamalat senior vice-president Muhamad Radzuan Ab Rahman held a press conference to address the allegations against the financial institution.

- More -

Print this item

No regrets, says woman who stood against bigotry in halal row
Posted by: superadmin - 12-28-2021, 09:50 AM - Forum: Stop Racism and Religious Bigotry - No Replies

[Image: Noor-Shamera-Hassan-halal-2.jpg]

PETALING JAYA: Noor Shamera Hassan knew she would hit turbulent waters when she decided to speak up publicly against Muslims who questioned if food donated by non-Muslims for flood victims was halal. But that did not deter her.

She produced a 90-second video clip berating the naysayers whom she described as using a double standard at a time when people were just interested in survival after the devastating floods last week.

The emotional clip, calling for rational heads to prevail, went viral on social media, and received thousands of positive comments from Muslims that even Noor Shamera did not anticipate.

“Of course, there were some Muslims who chastised me questioning my authority over the question of haram and halal, saying I had no locus standi. I was not discouraged because I always speak up against injustice.

- More -

Print this item