Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malaysian PM’s remarks reveal US’ self-entertaining hegemonic diplomacy
[Image: 6ff23df7-15e4-478a-a7d5-405ae9ed550e.jpeg]

In simple and clear-cut remarks, Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim told the US, Europe and a wider range of the world that the baton of American hegemony is failing - Washington is increasingly incapable of dictating the choices of other countries. 

"Anwar Ibrahim questioned why Malaysia would 'pick a quarrel' with China, its largest trading partner, in response to US criticisms of his country's ties with Beijing," Financial Times (FT) reported on Sunday. "Why must I be tied to one interest? I don't buy into this strong prejudice against China, this China-phobia," he said in an interview with the FT. In the same piece, Anwar is quoted as saying, "We are a small country struggling to survive in a complex world … I want to focus on what is best for us."

The FT was attempting to induce Anwar to toss out an answer that is expected by the West, such as, Malaysia is siding with the US, or at the very least, Malaysian relationship with the US is strong and not influenced by China. Clearly, beyond the West's soap bubble, the world is very different. To be straightforward, it is a proof that more and more countries are not buying into the US hegemony any longer.

- More -