Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malaysia gripped in wave of denials, accusations over alleged ‘Dubai Move’ plot
Malaysia gripped in wave of denials, accusations over alleged ‘Dubai Move’ plot to topple Anwar govt
[Image: 329411487_944466093396534_54998239537518...k=Rk1wR9qa]

SINGAPORE: In the days leading up to the new year, Malaysian social media was awash with not just celebratory posts but also a thick air of political intrigue fuelled by speculation that the government could soon fall.

Specifically on TikTok, a tool commonly used to spread political propaganda in Malaysia, content creators had bandied about the same phrase: Dubai Move.

Powerful political figures holidaying in United Arab Emirates’ most populous city were said to have met in December to discuss how they could topple the unity government led by Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim, the videos said.

Then on Dec 29, these rumours grew louder when a government official took to social media to confirm the existence of the “Dubai Move”, allegedly involving opposition leaders from Perikatan Nasional (PN) and other party leaders who were not satisfied with the unity government and Mr Anwar’s leadership style.

- More -

GPS in no position to take PM post, wants unity govt to work, says Abang Jo
[Image: 19032023_-_Datuk_Patinggi_Abang_Johari_T...AN_-_1.jpg]

GABUNGAN Parti Sarawak (GPS) is in no position to assume the seat of prime minister, its chairman Tan Sri Abang Johari Openg said today, dispelling speculation that the coalition has sought the post as a condition to help bring down the present government.

“GPS has only 23 MPs in the Dewan Rakyat. Even if the so-called Dubai Move got rid of Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim from the prime minister’s post and offers it to GPS, I am not stupid enough to think I am qualified to take up the post.

“I know where I stand. GPS only has 23 MPs. How can we take over the PM post?” said Abang Johari, who is the premier of Sarawak.

He said that claims of GPS being involved in any plot aimed at trying to overthrow the current government do not make practical sense.

- More -