Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YOURSAY | Despite status quo, Umno performed poorly
[Image: 9ec600c3da4058a64c58cec11d1f7ed2.jpg=s800]

Apanama is back: Even though the status quo remains at 3-3 (Pakatan Harapan-BN vs Perikatan Nasional), Harapan-BN has performed rather poorly in this six states election.

Look at the number of seats the coalition won throughout the six states thus far (a total of 232 seats). Of course, we practice first-past-the-post-system, but the seats won by Harapan-BN were 93 seats while PN won 139 seats.

This means PN's popular votes increased since the 15th general election (GE15) last November. The first-past-the-post system hides this popular vote.

The federal government needs to do something rather than feel satisfied with the so-called 3-3 status quo.

Moreover, some of the seats won in Selangor, for example, were won with a small majority against PN. Or course, for now, it appears safe. Yes, as I always fear, our secularism is in danger.

Meanwhile, Umno/BN performed very badly. So far, out of 230 seats, it has won only 17 seats in six states. BN was given 108 seats, the highest in the Harapan-BN coalition. From day one, I was concerned about their risk.

However, Umno will pretend as if nothing has happened and its president cum Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi will not resign even if there is a call for him to do so.

The party's members have sent their protest votes, almost en bloc.

I always mentioned that it is risky to give 108 seats to Umno/BN. Looking at the high percentage of voters in Kedah and Terengganu, which are from PN/PAS strongholds, Umno has lost very badly.

GE15 showed that the party is almost totally rejected by the Malays. The trend has not receded yet.

No one can say anything because Zahid is still at the top. He is a liability for both the party as well as the unity government. This will cost some damage to the Harapan-BN coalition as far as results in these six state elections are concerned.

In Selangor, PN was able to deny Harapan-BN its two-thirds majority. We need to wait for the Malacca and Johor elections in two years to see if this is a trend in future elections.

Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim needs to do something rather than leave it as it is. I hope he does not underestimate this “Green Wave” phenomenon.

- More -