Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low turnout in Selangor will favour PN, warn DAP leaders
[Image: PRU15-PENGUNDIAN-SK-MALURI-TITIWANGSA-VOTING-DAY-11.jpg]

PETALING JAYA: DAP leaders are warning the party’s grassroots that a “green wave” may dislodge Pakatan Harapan (PH) in Selangor if voter turnout falls sharply below the 79% figure recorded in the state at the 15th general election (GE15) last November.

They say that with an addition of 2.97 million new voters in the state, the racial composition has changed, with 37 of the 56 seats up for grabs now showing a Malay-majority. Of the remaining seats, 13 are Chinese-majority constituencies while the remaining six are mixed seats.

Party insiders said leaders are worried rapid changes in the racial demographics would make it near impossible to reverse a defeat to Perikatan Nasional (PN) in future elections.

One source cited the urban Kota Kemuning seat which now has a Malay majority. Malay voters comprise 42%, while the Chinese make up 33%. Indians comprise 23% while others make up 2%.

- More -
‘No problem’ for PH, BN to retain 3 states, says Rafizi
[Image: d6485d23-1_rafizi_ramli_harapan_fmt_moga...082023.jpg]

PETALING JAYA: Pakatan Harapan (PH) and Barisan Nasional (BN) will have no problem retaining Penang, Negeri Sembilan and Selangor in the Aug 12 state elections, Rafizi Ramli said.

In fact, the PKR deputy president expects an increase in votes in the three PH strongholds as the coalition now has the backing of BN’s supporters, Bernama reported.

“And that is why I see no issues in Penang, Selangor and Negeri Sembilan. The Malay votes in these three states will surpass the numbers we need to retain them,” he was quoted as saying.

Earlier today, a survey revealed that Perikatan Nasional might be able to win Selangor if there was a low voter turnout among the non-Malays and if a third of PH-BN’s Malay voters backed the opposition coalition.

- More -
Why I decided to make U-turn from my original intention of sitting out from Selangor state polls
[Image: 1995267.jpg]

Letter to editor

I WAS planning to sit out of the poll on Aug 12. Instead of queueing for my turn to cast my ballot, I was planning with some friends to enjoy our dim sum somewhere.

So adamant was I that I decided to tell others to stay out of the poll this round. My reason was because of the failure of the Selangor state government under caretaker menteri besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shaari in addressing issues that are important to the people.

At the same time, I saw how Pakatan Harapan (PH) politicians have conveniently forgotten the sacrifices of civil society activists such as the late Harris Ibrahim and Ambiga Sreeneevasan, to name a few.

In Selangor, I saw how Amirudin and his state executive councilors (EXCO) were busy pursuing mega projects to the extent that there is neglect in the provision of basic public amenities. I wanted to stay out of the polls to punish PH in Selangor for being complacent and failing to keep to the original promises.

Although the Freedom of Information Act was enacted the moment Pakatan Rakyat (PR) took over the state in 2008, the state’s administration under Amirudin – in my opinion – has deteriorated to such an extent that I thought it was no longer worth putting PH for a fourth term in Selangor.

- More -
Hadi: “Change in federal govt possible if PN wins all 6 state polls”
[Image: hadiaw_1691372045.jpg]

PAS president Tan Sri Abdul Hadi Awang has reiterated his claim that there will be a change in the federal government if Perikatan Nasional (PN) wins all six states in the forthcoming state polls on Aug 12.

As such, it is crucial for the people especially the Malays to ensure higher voter turnout to give PN the victory in the six states, namely Pakatan Harapan-led Selangor, Negri Sembilan, Penang and the opposition states of Kedah, Kelantan and Terengganu.

“The six state polls are very important for PN and the coalition must win big. God willing, we will be ensured victory in Kedah, Kelantan and Terengganu but we want to win in Penang, Selangor and Negri Sembilan as well,” the Marang MP said in his speech at the Munajat Akbar and PN Best tour in Sendayan, Negri Sembilan last night (Aug 7).

“If we win, there will be a change in 000, which means there is great necessity for the people to cast their votes.”

- More -