Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the ‘green wave’ turn towards Anwar?
[Image: 73f175b9-nehru-sathiamorthy-columnist-la...0323-1.jpg]

Let me go on record as saying at the outset that I do not think there is a “green wave”.

I know that the Malay-Muslim electorate swung in favour of Perikatan Nasional (PN) at the 15th general election (GE 15) – I even predicted that – but I did not see the swing as a statement of intent or a projection of the permanent direction of the Malay-Muslim electorate.

Instead, to me, it was just the outcome of political developments leading up to GE15.

But even assuming there is a “green wave” of Malay-Muslim voters who voted in favour of PN in the last general election, there is no reason why it will not wash back in favour of Anwar Ibrahim at the upcoming six-state polls.

- More -
Make Anwar ‘poster boy’ for coming state polls, PH-BN told

PETALING JAYA: Pakatan Harapan and Barisan Nasional should make Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim their “poster boy” for the coming state elections, two political analysts said.

Azmil Tayeb of Universiti Sains Malaysia and Mujibu Abd Muis of Universiti Teknologi Mara said having Anwar as the unity coalition’s “poster boy” will attract support from voters.

“Anwar is still the most popular figure in the PH-BN leadership. So, it is better to highlight Anwar in the campaign,” Azmil told FMT.

- More -
Anwar scoffs at Dr M’s 5-1 election prediction
[Image: ee16a84f-anwar-ibrahim-fb-280723-2.jpg]

PETALING JAYA: Pakatan Harapan chairman Anwar Ibrahim has accused Dr Mahathir Mohamad of engaging in wishful thinking by predicting a possible 5-1 victory for Perikatan Nasional when voters in six states go to the polls next month.

Instead, Anwar said the collaboration between PH and Barisan Nasional will create a surprising win in the state elections.

Anwar was disdainful of Mahathir’s observation that PN had “a good potential” of retaining power in Kedah, Kelantan and Terengganu, and winning power in Selangor and Negeri Sembilan, which have been run by PH.

- More -
Clean sweep expected for PAS in Kelantan, Terengganu
[Image: pas-flag-bernama.jpg]

PETALING JAYA: As unity government parties brace for a “green wave”, there is no doubt that Perikatan Nasional will secure a clean sweep in Kelantan and Terengganu at the Aug 12 state assembly elections, according to observers.

Political analyst Azmi Hassan of Akademi Nusantara said the voting pattern in the 2022 parliamentary elections was an indication that PAS would come out victorious in Kelantan and Terengganu.

“The odds are very good because PAS is very strong in the region. I would say PAS will retain (power) in both states,” he told FMT.

In 2018, PAS clinched 37 state assembly seats in Kelantan, with Barisan Nasional taking the remaining eight. In Terengganu, PAS won 22 seats compared to BN’s 10.

- More -