Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fox Outfoxed? - Former AG's Explosive Memoir Blames Dr M For The Implosion Of Pakatan
[Image: 09ead5f9aaebe6521cc4317742f4e22a534fa5cc.jpg]

The former Attorney General, who resigned in the wake of the collapse of the Pakatan Harapan administration in March, has kept his counsel till now about what he observed at the heart of government as the coalition collapsed.

At the climax of an about to be published memoir, spanning his career as a reforming barrister in Malaysia, he reveals a series of previously unknown facts that shed crucial light on the significance of those events.

The chapter, which Tommy Thomas says it pained him to write given his overall respect for the former prime minister, details why in his analysis Dr Mahathir holds the greatest responsibility for the implosion of what had been a stable government.

Quote:“I have found these paragraphs difficult to write. It pains me to be critical of the Prime Minister who had appointed me, and stood by me over twenty months despite massive attacks from the majority race. But posterity will judge harshly the three decisions that Tun Dr. Mahathir took on Monday, 24th February 2020.”

In the largely dispassionate tone that characterises his narrative that nonetheless touches on many of the most emotional and dramatic moments in Malaysian history, Thomas brings a legal perspective as to where in his view Mahathir misstepped.

As AG at the time he had a unique insight.

The first surprise (or “utter shock” as Thomas describes it) came when a friend texted him at 1.30pm on Monday 24th February, the day after the so-called Sheraton Move, to say that Mahathir had submitted a letter of resignation to the King.

He immediately visited the PM’s private office to discover it was true. Until that point, says Thomas, he had been ‘bullish’ about the antics of the relative handful of defectors.

- More -