Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There is no Merdeka from the 1MDB scandal
[Image: 5_SRC_ZAID_IBRAHIM_TEH_POH_TEIK_FMT_17082022.jpg]

From Zaid Ibrahim

The Federal Court decision that saw the incarceration of Najib Razak last week is possibly the most talked about judicial event in Malaysia’s legal history.

To me especially, the former prime minister’s jailing was a significant low point for our country. I am truly saddened by it.

I am saddened for Najib because I believe he did not get a fair trial. Justice was denied to him.

- More -
“No reason why judiciary should be subject of ridicule to save Najib”
[Image: 1704200.jpg]

MEMBERS of the Malaysian Bar might not be cheerleaders of the judiciary or the executive but they might come to the assistance if there are indications that the judiciary might be in danger.

Representing lawyers in the country, the Malaysian Bar wants the judiciary to function in the best possible manner without fear or favour.

The judiciary is looked upon as an institution of checks and balances especially when there is a need to balance the executive and the legislative.

There have been times that the Malaysian Bar had shown its displeasure towards both to the executive as well judiciary on some matters.

But the same time, the Malaysian Bar is like hawk flying high to monitor and articulate the concerns of the judiciary or any other democratic institutions that might be abused.

It is the duty of the Malaysian Bar to defend the judiciary when there are overt and covert attempts to subdue or compromise its role.

What the Malaysian Bar president Karen Cheah said about the abuse of the judiciary by the lawyers representing the former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak was nothing out of the ordinary.

- More -
Ramasamy: “No selective prosecution; Najib got what he deserved”
[Image: 20191002SZ4.jpg]
PENANG deputy chief minister II Dr P. Ramasamy said he does not think selective prosecution was made against former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, and neither was there a miscarriage of justice.

The DAP lawmaker was responding to the Datuk Zaid Ibrahim-penned “There is no Merdeka from the 1MDB scandal” op-ed yesterday (Aug 31) where the lawyer expressed his sadness that Najib did not get a fair trial and that “justice was denied to him”.

“While Zaid is entitled to his opinion – however indefensible it is – I need to take umbrage to his central argument that Najib did not get a fair trial and that there was a miscarriage of justice,” Ramasamy said.

He said for Zaid, Najib’s generosity to the poor was branded bribery of the populace, while his 1Malaysia model was pushed back by the right-wing thinking of Mahathirism in UMNO.

“[However] I don’t think that there was selective prosecution against Najib and neither was there a terrible miscarriage of justice against him,” the Perai assemblyperson opined.

“Najib got what he deserved. It was not a political decision but a decision made by the highest court in the country and his conviction was unanimously declared by the Federal Court.

“The fact that others have been arrested and charged is poor defence of Najib’s ‘selective prosecution’ and whether Zaid accepts it or not Najib as the former prime minister was the key figure in the embezzlement of funds belonging to 1MDB.”

Ramasamy further noted that whether Zaid accepts it or not, Najib as the former prime minister was the “key figure” in the embezzlement of 1MDB funds and that “without his approval or consent there was no way others could have been involved”.

- More -