Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fifty million empty flats threaten to plunge China’s troubled property market further
Fifty million empty flats threaten to plunge China’s troubled property market further into crisis, warns think tank 
  • The average vacancy rate in mainland China is 12.1 per cent, according to BRI, meaning millions of empty units could flood the market
  • Now the property boom is over, the unoccupied homes are beginning to feel like a burden for their anxious owners

[Image: cef0508a-4029-47e9-a3b7-cb51764d49b5_260...1660375930]

Liu Hong and her parents own four homes in different cities across mainland China. At any one time, as many as three of them are unoccupied.

The 36-year-old, who works as an auditor in Shanghai, bought a flat in her hometown of Harbin in northern Heilongjiang province 13 years ago for 320,000 yuan (US$47,500). It stands just two blocks away from her parents’ place, which was given to her father for free by the school he taught at three decades ago – a common practice in mainland China at the time.

“My dad and mum insisted I should have my own home as they held the firm belief that I would someday go back and live in Harbin, or I might need it to save money before I get married,” Liu said.

“Neither of those things happened, and now for half of the year my parents stay with me in Shanghai after they both retired.”

- More -