Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Further deliberation needed on anti-hopping law bill, says law minister
[Image: wan-junaidi-bernama-071021.jpg]

PETALING JAYA: The Cabinet has decided that the bill for an anti-hopping law requires “further deliberation”, ahead of its tabling in the Dewan Rakyat, law minister Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar said today.

The bill, which also seeks to limit the tenure of the prime minister is supposed to be tabled in the current sitting of the Dewan Rakyat.

In a statement, Wan Junaidi said the bill needs to be deliberated further with stakeholders from Barisan Nasional (BN) and Perikatan Nasional (PN) to ensure it can get sufficient support in the Dewan Rakyat.

“Under Article 159 of the Federal Constitution we need a two-thirds majority support in the Dewan Rakyat to amend the Federal Constitution,” he said.

- More -
Certainly there should be such laws, there should be a change of power, and the prime minister must serve maximum of two terms. That's normal. I don't know if this law has been passed, but it's a good idea. Although, many of the ruling elites in muslim countries are quite conservative, so I personally wouldn`t hope for total change in parliament. I lived in the Arab Emirates for a while, and I had to contact this law firm. Then I was provided with good help, but it was very unusual to understand Arab legislation, because I was used to a completely different legal system. Arab laws are stricter, for example, with regard to women, unlike in our country.