Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last responders: Mental health damage from Covid could last a generation
Last responders: Mental health damage from Covid could last a generation, professionals say
  • Many psychologists and psychiatrists have reported an influx in people seeking mental health support during the pandemic.
  • Numerous studies have been carried out looking into the impact of Covid on mental health.
  • One study, published in The Lancet medical journal in October, looked at the global prevalence of depression and anxiety disorders in 204 countries and territories in 2020 due to the Covid pandemic.
[Image: 107012643-1644344659653-gettyimages-1217...=740&h=416]

Aside from the obvious physical impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic, health professionals have told CNBC that many people are struggling with the immense emotional and societal changes it has brought and, what’s more, are finding it hard to adapt to a “new normal” now that lockdowns are starting to ease.

Many psychologists and psychiatrists have reported an influx in people seeking mental health support during the pandemic, with the unprecedented global health crisis causing an increase in anxiety and depression as well as exacerbating existing mental health conditions.

“I have never been as busy in my life and I’ve never seen my colleagues as busy,” Valentine Raiteri, a psychiatrist working in New York, told CNBC.

“I can’t refer people to other people because everybody is full. Nobody’s taking new patients ... So I’ve never been as busy in my life, during the pandemic, and ever in my career,” he said, adding that he’s also seen an influx of former patients returning to him for help.

Raiteri said that many of his patients are still working remotely and were isolated, with many feeling “disconnected and lost, and they just have this kind of malaise.”

“That is really hard for me to do anything about,” he said, noting: “I can’t make the pressures disappear. I can always treat the illness that it provokes.”

- More -