Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scars, tumours and combat boxing: the story of my conquest over cancer – Anne Edwards
[Image: WhatsApp_Image_2022-01-29_at_12.jpg]

TILL today, I have one question that I am too afraid to ask: “Am I going to die?”

I know no doctor will be able to give me a straight answer especially on my third encounter with cancer.

Yes, three is the number of times I’ve had cancer. I survived the first in 2013 when I was diagnosed with Stage 1D ovarian cancer – after two major surgeries and a series of chemotherapy, I was given a clean bill of health.

The second was in 2016 when I was diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer only after weeks of suffering from intestinal pains that I was wheeled into the operating theatre for an emergency major operation to remove the tumour from my colon.

All I can remember is the doctor telling me (just before I was wheeled in for the surgery) that the cancer had spread to my liver, news that shattered my family who were waiting patiently outside.

But I told myself if God wanted me dead, I would have died a long time ago so it was clear that I was meant to live and fight yet another battle with cancer.

I woke up in the intensive care unit (ICU) of University Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) after what seemed like an endless surgery only to be told about a week later that the biopsy done on the tumour revealed Stage 3 colon cancer and that it has not metastasized.

- More -