Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When absolute power creates politicians from Dark Ages – Stephen Then
[Image: 25012022_Datuk_Francis_Harden_Hollis_Fb_pic.jpg]

I KNOW of certain government politicians who have purposely victimised handicapped people for being critical of certain issues and policies. I have also heard about certain political representatives who purposely prevented electricity and water connections to rural folk who supported parties not aligned to the ruling government.

Such vengeful and twisted politicians can be found not just in Sarawak but also in the rest of the country. I worked in the Klang Valley, Terengganu, and Kelantan for six years since I first started as a reporter, and I too have encountered such vengeful politicians in those states.

In my last 25 years as a reporter in Sarawak, I have seen my fair share of these types of politicians. I would have thought that such a barbaric form of political administration belonged to the Dark Ages.

Sadly, we keep on hearing of such oppression, even today.

Last week, Assistant State Minister Datuk Francis Harden allegedly insinuated that community leaders who support the opposition should not be paid by the ruling state government.

Opposition parties Parti Bansa Dayak Sarawak Baru (PBDSB) and Parti Sarawak Bersatu (PSB) subsequently slammed Harden for threatening those community leaders alleged to have supported opposition parties during last month’s 12th state election.

PSB Miri division chief Bruce Chai said if the ruling Gabungan Parti Sarawak (GPS) government is launching a post-election vendetta, it is a deplorable act.

- More -