Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New leadership paradigm needed in Machiavellian Malaysian politics: academic
[Image: 20220107_tan_sri_kamal_hassan_Nik_Hasyudeen_fb.jpeg]

KUALA LUMPUR – Calling the current Malaysian political climate Machiavellian, Tan Sri Kamal Hassan called for a paradigm of new leadership.

The author of Corruption and Hypocrisy in Malay-Muslim Politics said that this was his first time writing about Malay politics, and he did so to address the rot that has festered in the nation’s political arena.

“I feel like my time is about to end. I may have to return to Allah soon, but the political scenario is frustrating.

“I have been observing political development in the country for 70 years, and I feel that things are getting worse,” Kamal said on Awani’s Consider This programme yesterday.

Pointing towards Malay nationalism as a factor, he said nationalists initially came with an agenda to uplift the economic position of the Malays.

However, he said, with the absence of the restraint brought forth by ethics and sound religious values, Malay leaders became more corrupt.

Pointing out that Malay nationalists are largely secular-oriented and comprise westernised elites, the political model inherited from the British separating religion from politics led to the current crisis where corruption and hypocrisy has bred in the nation’s governance.

- More -