Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inclusive action necessary for effective disaster relief and recovery efforts
Inclusive action necessary for effective disaster relief and recovery efforts – William Leong

[Image: SEL-Amirudin-MB-Bernama.jpg]

I SUPPORT the approach by the Selangor Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari not to debate the role and functions of the state National Security Council (NSC) chairman. There are no better answers to his critics than effective action and tangible results.

Now is not the time for pointing fingers as to who is at fault for the poor response to rescue and relief efforts during the floods. The focus for now must be to ensure disaster relief and recovery efforts save lives, livelihoods, properties and businesses.

I commend the menteri besar for including in the Selangor Disaster Management Committee representatives from the Civil Defence Force, the NSC, the Royal Malaysian Police, the Social Welfare Department, the Selangor Health Department, the Irrigation and Drainage Department, the Meteorological Department, and other agencies.

It is salutary that the menteri besar has also included state opposition leader Datuk Rizam Ismail in the committee.

These are positive decisions. To further improve the disaster relief and disaster recovery framework, I urge the menteri besar to consider the following additional measures.

Inclusive relief and recovery process
Successful recovery includes the ability of individuals and families to rebound from their losses in a manner that sustains their physical, emotional, social and economic well-being. Therefore, care must be taken by all agencies to assure that all actions do not exclude groups of people based on race, gender, religion or disability.

- More -