Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dr M offers to be witness in suit against Azmin
PETALING JAYA: Former prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad has offered to be a witness in court for the lawsuit filed by several Gombak voters against their MP, Mohamed Azmin Ali.

In a Facebook post, Mahathir said the letter of demand filed by the plaintiffs had touched on the Sheraton Move amid the political turmoil in February and the formation of the Perikatan Nasional (PN) government.

“I view the people’s bravery to question the credibility and integrity of an MP like Azmin as a process that matures the democratisation of the country.

“I am ready to offer myself as a witness in court if my statement is needed. I am ready to help,” the Langkawi MP said.

Mahathir said he himself had spoken about some of the matters raised by the plaintiffs in their demand letter, adding that the courts were the best forum to confirm the allegations brought up in the suit.

He said elected representatives need to understand that the people chose them to be their voice in Parliament and to lead them, not to grapple for power or to serve their own interests.

Ten Gombak voters filed a suit for deceit and breach of fiduciary duty against Azmin last week, wanting a declaration that the senior minister for economy, as trustee, owes them a fiduciary duty as an elected representative.

The plaintiffs also want a declaration that Azmin committed the tort of deceit against them and that he had violated his constitutional oath under Article 59(1) read together with the 6th Schedule of the Federal Constitution.

- More -