Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timah and Malaysia’s low-quality MPs
[Image: mariam-mokhtar-column-300x400-1.jpg]

The PKR MP for Tangga Batu, Rusnah Aluai, earned her masters in Political Science from the London School of Economics (LSE) and not from a sekolah attap. This is why some of us are puzzled that she is confused by the Timah whisky debacle.

She said the Timah brand of whisky and the imagery used are “too confusing” and should be changed. Her comments are both offensive and embarrassing.

Confusing to whom? One doubts if Malays and Muslims are confused by the Timah brand of whisky or the photo on the bottle. Practising Muslims will not drink whisky whether or not they believe the name, Timah, to be confusing.

Rusnah wants the photo of Captain Tristram Speedy, who is shown with a thick beard and skullcap, to be replaced with one of him wearing a hat. Have Malays ownership of the skull cap? What about people of the Jewish faith who also sport the skull cap?

- More -
‘I apologise to those offended’: Tangga Batu MP on ‘drinking Malay women’ remark
[Image: Rusnah_Aluai_Twitter_pic.jpg]

KUALA LUMPUR – The PKR lawmaker, who shot to national infamy after her “drinking Malay women” remark linked to the Timah whiskey in Parliament yesterday, has apologised to those who took offence. 

In a brief statement today, Tangga Batu MP Rusnah Aluai said her speech in the lower house had been misunderstood.

“I take note of the responses towards my speech in Parliament on the issue of Timah. Although my intention was to ensure there is no confusion pertaining to the label (on the liquor), my remark was misunderstood.

“As such, to those who were offended by my speech, I apologise.”

- More -