Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The ‘Truly Malaysia’ Series Pt 1: Syaq Koyok

MALAYA gained independence 64 years ago and last month, the rakyat celebrated 58 years of the inclusion of three further territories to its Federation. These were the Bornean states of Sabah and Sarawak, and Singapore, which later left the Federation.

This annual celebration is known as Malaysia Day.

Yet, the question remains – even as Malaya transitioned to Malaysia and prides itself on its diversity – how far we have truly come in respecting differences and embracing our distinctiveness.

Malaysia’s people – from all walks of life – largely agree that there is no racial disharmony and that Malaysians are indeed one community. However, politics, by common consent, is perceived as being a divisive factor in achieving true racial harmony.

In this special project, ‘Truly Malaysia’, The Vibes spoke to six humanitarian and political activists to get their views on this perception.

Part 1 of a six-part series begins today at The Vibes as we report #FromEverySide.

- More -

The 'Truly Malaysia' Series Pt 2: Abang Buzze Azam

'I am not an ice cream vendor'

As such, it is unavoidable that some Malaysians will not approve of his actions and behaviour.

“I am not an ice cream vendor. Why do I say that? Because there is a saying – ‘if we want to be liked by the people, by everyone, go sell ice cream’. So, clearly I am not an ice cream vendor,” he said with a cheeky twinkle in his eyes.

When asked to comment on the numerous police reports lodged against him for his public statements, Buzze Azam explains that it does not trigger him, instead, he encourages those who are against him to continue making further reports.

- More -