Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liz Cheney rebukes Republican critics: Trump 'doesn't believe in the rule of law'
[Image: 210512145749-cheney-closeup-exlarge-169.jpg]

Washington (CNN)GOP Rep. Liz Cheney, one of just two Republicans on the select committee investigating the January 6 insurrection, brushed off her GOP detractors in a new interview, stating pointedly that former President Donald Trump "doesn't believe in the rule of law."

"Those who think that by ignoring Trump, he will go away, have been proven wrong," Cheney told CBS News' "60 Minutes" in an interview that aired Sunday.

"And in my view, the American people, they deserve better than having to choose between what I think are the really disastrous policies of Joe Biden -- in a whole range of areas, really bad for our economy," she said. "From a national security perspective, what's happened, what he's done in Afghanistan: very dangerous policies for the country. But the alternative cannot be a man who doesn't believe in the rule of law, and who violated his oath of office."

She also took a swipe at House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, calling his actions after January 6 "unforgivable."

"What he's done is embrace Donald Trump. And if I were doing what he's doing, I would be deeply ashamed of myself," Cheney said.

She continued: "There are people who supported Donald Trump because of his policies. But there's a difference between somebody who voted for Donald Trump and being the Republican leader after an insurrection, and setting all of that aside and going to Mar-a-Lago, and rehabilitating him, bringing him back in. That to me is unforgivable."

- More -