Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
China- and Hong Kong-based bitcoin holders scrambling to protect their crypto assets
  • Some crypto holders in China and Hong Kong are scrambling to find a way to safeguard their digital currencies, according to an attorney who works with overseas clients to protect their crypto wealth.
  • This comes after the People’s Bank of China said in a Q&A posted to its website that all cryptocurrency-related transactions in China are illegal, including services provided by offshore exchanges.

[Image: 105143033-GettyImages-901807154.jpg?v=15...=740&h=416]

Some crypto holders in China and Hong Kong are scrambling to find a way to safeguard their bitcoin and other tokens after China’s central bank published a new document Friday spelling out tougher measures in its wider crypto crackdown, including souped-up systems to monitor crypto-related transactions.

Bitcoin was down as much as 6% and ether sunk as much as 10%, amid a wider sell-off early Friday, as investors digested the news.

“Since the announcement less than two hours ago, I have already received over a dozen messages – email, phone and encrypted app – from Chinese crypto holders looking for solutions on how to access and protect their crypto holdings in foreign exchanges and cold wallets,” David Lesperance, a Toronto-based attorney who specializes in relocating wealthy crypto holders to other countries to save on taxes, told CNBC early Friday.

Lesperance said the move is an attempt to freeze crypto assets so that holders can’t legally do anything with them. “Along with not being able to do anything with an extremely volatile asset, my suspicion is that like with Roosevelt and gold, the Chinese government will ‘offer’ them in the future to convert it to e-yuan at a fixed market price,” he said of President Franklin Roosevelt’s policy around the private ownership of gold, which was later repealed.

“I have been predicting this for a while as part of the Chinese government’s moves to close out all potential competition to the incoming digital yuan,” said Lesperance.

- More -