Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Political truce, please? Pretty please? – Zainul Arifin
[Image: 20210707_ismail_sabri_dpm_3_bernama.jpg]

IF there is something that I would like to wish for in this month of Merdeka, it is a political truce. As the sad and protracted saga comes to an end (hopefully!), I wish we can dial down the politics, rhetoric and careless, endless mongering.

We deserve a break. Whether the new prime minister rocks your boat or joint, we need to give it a rest. It has been a long, energy-sapping year compounded by the pandemic and a general disruption of our lives.

The politicking achieved what it intended to do – bring down the administration of Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin. However, the consequences are not what everyone involved wanted.

Like the song says, you cannot always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you may get what you need.

So please, no more running around with sworn statements or telling everyone of having “strong, credible numbers” in possession, no more selective righteousness with political opportunists aka frogs, and no more straight-faced politicos claiming to be fighting for us.

Of course, I know that my wish matters little in the greater political scheme of things. We can only hope for politicians to give it a rest and accord the newly minted prime minister space and time. Yet, there are already murmurs of cabinet appointments or whose government Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob is leading.

- More -