Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daulat Tuanku! King, Malay Rulers rise to the occasion
[Image: A-Kathirasen-column-300x400.jpg]

In my June 15 column, I said suffering Malaysians were looking up to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah, and the Malay Rulers for some sort of direction for the nation, if not an end to their troubles.

I said most Malaysians wanted Parliament to be allowed to reconvene as soon as possible and for an end to the Emergency which was imposed on Jan 12 and is scheduled to end on Aug 1.

Yesterday, the King and the Malay Rulers expressed their wish to see Parliament reconvened “as soon as possible”. They also said there was no need for the Emergency to be extended beyond Aug 1.

In an unprecedented move, the King called 18 leaders of political parties, the chairman of the Independent Special Committee on the Emergency and top government officials over the past week to find out the actual situation regarding the Covid-19 pandemic and the efforts of the government to control it.

Yesterday, he met with his fellow Malay Rulers to discuss the situation and to brief them on the views of those who had had an audience with him.

The meeting and their stand is historic.

- More -