Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US-China relations: Adversary or partner?
Top diplomats from the US and China will meet in person on Thursday for the first high-level talks between the two countries since President Joe Biden took office.

Beijing is aiming to reset ties after years of tension. Washington says the meeting is a one-off and future engagements depend on "deeds, not words".

The dialogue will help indicate how hard the Biden administration is willing to push China on a range of issues.

We asked young people in the US and in China about the future of US-China relations.

Here's what three Americans and three Chinese nationals told us:

[Image: _117613649_peyton.png]

Peyton is a young black progressive who does not view China as a foe and says the two countries should work together on climate change.

Do you view China as an adversary or a potential partner?
The US government 100% considers China to be an adversary at this point. Any country that threatens the US's place as the greatest economic power in the world would be seen as an enemy. Add in the ideological differences, spying [and] hacking allegations, and general AAPI [Asian American and Pacific Islander] discrimination, and I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Americans feel the same way.

I personally have no strong feelings toward China either way. I don't think the country or any of its citizens have done anything of significance for me to make that determination.

- More -