Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video games 'good for well-being' says University of Oxford study
People who play video games for long periods of time tend to report feeling happier than those who do not, a study has indicated.

The Oxford Internet Institute research focused on two games: Nintendo's Animal Crossing and EA's Plants vs Zombies.

In an unusual step, the developers of the games shared anonymised data about how long each participant had played.

These logs were then linked to a survey in which the players answered questions about their well-being.

A total of 3,274 gamers took part. All were over 18.

In previous research, data gathered about the duration of subjects' gaming sessions was based on self-reported "guesstimates", which can be inaccurate.

- More -
Well this makes sense. When I was at school the only thing I was doing beside studying was playing video games like Rocket League. I was thinking about how could I become the best, and I was pretty good at the game. Now when I am older I have no time to play games, all I do is work. When I have time to play video games I feel much better. Now I have a new profile on Rocket League and I also have money to buy items on rl trading. That is a good part of having a job, I guess.
Why do gamers have depression so often then?
I guess it makes sense – gaming can be a form of relaxation and escape from daily stresses.

The fact that they used real gameplay data instead of self-reported estimates is pretty cool. It adds more credibility to the findings. It's good to see researchers delving deeper into the effects of gaming on well-being. I also like playing the bubble cash app when I'm waiting for something or just bored. It does relax me!
(07-20-2023, 04:33 PM)CarryLyn Wrote: Why do gamers have depression so often then?

Hi,

This is the result of spending too much time in games. This is not relaxation after hard works but a waste of time in unproductive activities.
I'm a huge fan of Animal Crossing and Plants vs. Zombies, and I totally get how these games can positively affect our well-being. They offer such enjoyable and relaxing experiences. Seeing the gaming community getting involved in research like this is amazing.
And speaking of games, have you heard about Genshin Impact? It's one of my recent favorites! I've been having a blast exploring its beautiful world and Genshin Impact Accounts for Sale. It's exciting to know that the gaming industry is taking steps to understand player experiences better. Can't wait to see what insights they uncover. ??