Ipoh Community Forums

Full Version: Jacinda Ardern announces resignation, will not seek re-election in Oct polls
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 20220912-jacinda_ardern_sad-afp.jpg]

KUALA LUMPUR – In a shock announcement, New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern has said she will resign and will conclude her term by February 7, world media report this morning.

She said she would not be seeking re-election and would leave her post next month, citing the loss of “energy or inspiration” to run for election later this year.

According to The Guardian, Ardern announced her resignation at a meeting of her party’s annual caucus yesterday.

The media quoted her as saying: “I’m leaving, because with such a privileged role comes responsibility. The responsibility to know when you are the right person to lead and also when you are not.

“I know what this job takes. And I know that I no longer have enough in the tank to do it justice. It’s that simple.”

According to Bloomberg, Ardern will remain an MP until April. New Zealand’s election is scheduled for October 14.

The 43-year-old Labour politician has been touted as a kind and compassionate leader with common sense, known globally for her dignified response after the mosque terror attacks in Christchurch in March 2019.

- More -