Ipoh Community Forums

Full Version: After 56 years, Kit Siang quits politics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: Lim-Guan-Eng-Wee-Ka-Siong-FMT-3.jpg]

SHAH ALAM: DAP veteran Lim Kit Siang announced that he was quitting politics for good at the party’s national congress held here today.

Lim, 81, said he is withdrawing from the race for a seat in the central executive committee (CEC) at today’s election.

Lim had been in the CEC since 1966 when he began as a national organising secretary, and subsequently went on to hold the powerful secretary-general’s post for 30 years from 1969.

“I announce my retirement from politics and I also withdraw from contesting (for a place) in the CEC,” he said. “I will also not compete in any general or state elections in the future.”

- More -
Nazri praises Kit Siang for his ‘doggedness’, says he will miss him

[Image: Kit-Siang-emel-pic.jpg]

PETALING JAYA: Friends and colleagues from both sides of the political divide have paid tribute to DAP veteran Lim Kit Siang, who announced his retirement from politics after 56 years today.

Umno’s Padang Rengas MP Nazri Aziz reminisced about the days when he was law minister and had the opportunity to work with Kit Siang.

“Kit Siang has been a good friend of mine. When he was the opposition leader and I the law minister, there were many issues that were debated but what was important was that it was never about personal feelings.
- More -
Farewell to an Indomitable

[Image: Lim-Kit-Siang-DAP-Bernama.jpg]

From Terence Netto

DAP veteran Lim Kit Siang’s decision to bring down the curtain on his 56-year career in politics is expected to prevent the listing ship of his party from ploughing into reefs.

His retirement savors of an anticlimax because it comes just four years after the marathon man of Malaysian politics had led his party to its highest altitude: participation in the federal government.

Herein lies a shred of cruel irony.

- More -