Ipoh Community Forums

Full Version: Something big is up in Sarawak – Stephen Then
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: roads_repaired_in_sarawak_ukas_pic2.jpg]

WHEN you see roads being tar-sealed or repaired in Sarawak, it signals that an election is around the corner.

That’s been the saying I have been hearing since I was a kid living in Kuching, where I used to play in potholes in the middle of the roads – potholes that resembled mini swimming pools.

Now, Sarawakians know something big is up when roads are being tar-sealed, potholes covered up, muddy roads in the interior levelled and gravelled, broken bridges repaired and cheques presented as grants to community bodies statewide.

All state representatives have been told to gather at the Borneo Convention Centre in Kuching this Tuesday, with a directive to attend a special Budget 2022 meeting.

Why is it not being held in the state assembly building but in a public venue? Is it because Sarawak is still under a localised health emergency until February next year?

My guess is that ruling coalition Gabungan Parti Sarawak (GPS) will rush into approving the budget after the meeting to avoid any debates in the assembly.

After approving budget goodies, I expect GPS to seek an audience with the Yang di-Pertuan Agong to lift the emergency.

The Election Commission will then be asked to prepare for the 12th state election.

- More -